Basalt fiber properties
Basfiber® products ideally suit applications requiring high mechanical strength, resistance to high temperatures, durability, chemical resistance and environmental friendliness, especially when a combination of such requirements is needed.
Basfiber® has the following advantages over regular E-glass:
- 20-25% higher tensile strength
- 10-15% higher tensile modulus
- 50 % higher impact resistance
Basfiber® weight loss in alkaline medium compared to Cem-FIL and E-glass
Basfiber® weight loss in H2SO4 acid medium compared to E-glass
Basfiber® thermal properties
Basfiber® thermal properties compared to Е-glass
|Application temperature, °C||Up to 460||Up to 360|
|Short-term maximum operation temperature, °C||Up to 1000||Up to 600|
|Softening point, °C||1060||920|
|Melting point, °C||1250||1100|
Green product/ Environmental friendliness
According to National Directives on end-of-life composites in the leading industrial countries, it is strongly recommended to use end-of-life management principles during products development and production.
To fulfill such recommendations, manufactures have to look for new "green" materials which could help them to meet strict environmental requirements.
Many manufacturers have already chosen Basfiber® as such "green product" due to its advantages:
- As a raw material for Basfiber® production, we use basalt which is an inert natural rock.
- No chemical additives are used during Basfiber® production
- Basfiber® has no toxic reaction with air, water or other chemicals that may be hazardous for people or can pollute the environment
- Basfiber® is not a carcinogenic product, according to NTP, IARC or OSHA
- Basfiber® has excellent recyclability during the incineration process. The fiber is converted to black powder that is easily removed from combustion chamber and can be recycled as a filler for different applications.